Re: EU goes after Germany over broadband competition

  • Subject: Re: EU goes after Germany over broadband competition
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:08:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Wednesday 28 February 2007 19:39 \__

> B Gruff wrote:
>
>> Yes, I know that it sounds off-topic:-)
>>
>> I post it as an illustration that E.U. anti-competitive, anti-monopoly
>> laws and regulations are not aimed at Microsoft in particular or at
>> American companies in general.
>
> Nahh....there's /got/ to be an American side to this somewhere...you sure
> the German company isn't owned by Americans?

The fight over broadband is another dark area (or fibre). There's some monkey
business there as well. In fact, some Linux/OSS-oriented sites discuss
issues that are concerned with network management and the companies that
stand behind it. And let's not forget the EU's battles with the US over
control of the World Wide Web. As that other economy is increasingly
becoming irrelevant (due to its own sins, including software IP), it'll be
other countries that will inherit control, if not decentralise it.
Surprisingly, it might be China that'll gain Net independence before Europe.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  6:05am  up 37 days  6:23,  6 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.65, 0.58