Re: Screenshots Gallery of the Newly-released Sabayon Linux Live DVD

__/ [ AqD ] on Monday 19 March 2007 16:13 \__

> tried latest beryl several days ago - quite disappointing; speed is
> still much slower than 2d compositing, nvidia black-window bug is not
> fixed, some WM standards are broken (libwnck can't work with it
> correctly)

Was it the cutting-edge release or the stable one, which was only released
last week? Don't judge the 'developer stuff' as though it's
production-ready. The reason why April's Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, 7.04) does not
include Beryl 'out of the box' is stability. The version which will be out
in October will definitely include all that eye candy out of the box,
implying that's it's stabilising quickly. Beryl, unlike Compiz, is very
fast-moving, so expect it to be experimental at most times (unless you run
the older and unexciting release). I think that Mark Shuttleworth actually
decided to go with Compiz. I can't recall the details from the mailing list,
but the poll didn't receive much attention because enthusiastic users want a
lot of plugins fast. It can give stability/speed (not optimisation tweaking)
a bad name and it's not suitable for businesses that move to Ubuntu and
require none of the demoware, which is wasteful.

Sybayon is about size (completeness), not just looks.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
Swap:  1036184k total,   411180k used,   625004k free,    65704k cached