Re: USPTO condemns Peer-to-peer networks ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Sunday 18 March 2007 13:47 \__

> 'File-sharing programs that "dupe" users into inadvertently sharing
> files could be to blame for turning our nation's children into criminals
> and government workers into unwitting spies'
>
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6516

They also used the term 'national security'. Fear is a powerful driver. It
can assassinate technologies (and sometimes people/country/race).

Need oil? Then shout out "Weapons of Mass Destruction".

Want some British hacker jailed? Then say that changing wallpapers on *nix
PCs with default password has cost the Americans millions of dollars.

Want to raid some neighbourhood? Then say the word "terror".

Want YouTube shut down? Then say copyrights are doomed.

Do you fear Internet radio? Then speak to some Feds and change legistlation.
Introduce a burdensome 'tax'.

Fear free software? Then say it has balance-sheet liability, that a lot of
code was stolen from UNIX, and that it infringes on IP (software patents,
which you have just enabled by flirting with diplomats).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 12345679 x 8 = 98765432
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie