Re: [News] Missing Drivers And Security Holes: Growing Pains For Vista

  • Subject: Re: [News] Missing Drivers And Security Holes: Growing Pains For Vista
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:15:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 18 March 2007 20:42 \__

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06594_Missing_Drivers_And_Security_Holes_Growing_Pains_For_Vista.html

>>> "The biggest problem is missing drivers," says Axel Vahldiek from
>>> Hanover-based c't magazine. Without those programmes, generally
>>> provided by hardware makers, peripheral devices either cannot
>>> function properly or will not work at all.
>
>> Windows is so big that these drivers will become available within time.
>> It's just that some companies only want to support Windows.
>
> Oh, absolutely, Mike.
>
> This thread/ref. will be worth saving though.  It typifies what we keep
> saying - it's not that Windows supports more hardware than Linux;  quite
> the contrary - but more manufacturers support Windows than they do Linux.
> That's all to do with perceived market share - how many can they sell to
> Windows users compared with how many they can sell to Linux users.
>
> It's changing:-)

I'll dump some links into this thread. They all support the fact that Linux
support /more/ hardware. Of course, that PC you bought with Windows
(preinstalled) 2 years ago might tell a different story, but there's more to
computing than Windows-centric components and 32-bit x86 architectures. On
seevral occasions, Rex  spoke about some dirty tricks Microsoft embraces to
encourage use of Linux-hostile components in OEMs' PCs and laptops. Is
anybody surprised? As time went by, voluneteers wrote the needed drivers
(kernel hackers now do this for free) and OEMs realised that they were
losing some added value and repelling some customers.

Think have already begun to change:-)

Linux and Windows Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| So why the heck it's not working in Windows XP? I dunno. Do I need to
| upgrade my video card, just because of the incapable driver? Looks
| like yes. Does Linux supports hardware better that Windows? In my
| case -- definitely yes.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070205-063424.html

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Beware being ripped by Vista hardware scams

,----[ Quote ]
| He says that as he continues to use Vista, he's discovering more
| problems and not just with graphics applications and monitors.
|
| No. He bought a Linksys wireless print server gizmo under a year
| ago and has discovered that the firm has no plans whatever to
| support it.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=3476

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
|
| [...]
|
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?
`----

http://www.jeeperscats.com/?p=7

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Architectures:  Linux   Windows
|   PC x86        Y       Y
|   PC AMD64      Y       Y
|   PC IA-64      Y       Y
|   Alpha         Y       N
|   PPC           Y       N
|   PPC64         Y       N
|   SPARC32       Y       N
|   SPARC64       Y       N
|   ARM           Y       N
|   HP PA-RISC    Y       N
|   Moto 680x0    Y       N
|   MIPS          Y       N
|   MIPS (DEC)    Y       N
|   PowerPC       Y       N
|   IBM S/390     Y       N
|   others        Y       N
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

HP all-in-one device works great with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the ink cartridges have been installed and aligned --
| the unit first prints an alignment page, then scans it to
| check for needed adjustment -- Windows and Mac OS users are
| told to load their respective CDs to install the drivers.
| Linux users can scoff at the intellectual property
| handcuffs imposed on their non-free brothers and sisters
| and simply configure the unit from the friendly confines of their
| distribution.

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, I'm confused. I installed Ubuntu on a spare machine
| because my printer started printing all wrong. I just
| completed sharing it with CUPS and Samba and what happens?
| It still prints all wrong from Windows!
|
| [...]
|
| Just so you know, I did go back and install the drivers that
| came on the CD-ROM, same problem. I then downloaded the most
| recent drivers from Epson, same problem.
`----

http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in-Linux-but-not-in-Windows.html

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Free Linux Driver Development!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
  1:05am  up 7 days  9:08,  8 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.57, 0.49