Re: [News] YouTube Videos Can Be Viewed With Open Source Software Now

Tim Smith wrote:

>> > Indeed - it allows him to run his 64 bit machine in 64 bit mode.
>> >

>> Seemed obvious to me. Maybe Funkenbusch Jnr, has developed senile
>> dementia, just like his mentor.
>
> How much RAM is in the machine?  Unless it is more than 4 gig, you get
> almost no benefit from running in 64-bit mode.

Quite wrong. Several of those actions I do routinely are quite a lot faster
in 64bit mode. You see, linux 64bit is not like the windows variant, which
runs 32bit apps slower than the 32bit windows. Linux does not suffer like
windows, in addition, most apps are already included in 64bit variant or
can be easily compiled that way. I run relativly few 32bit apps on the
64bit machine

> In fact, because many
> programs consume much more RAM when compiled for 64-bit machines than
> when compiled for 32-bit,

While most apps are just slightly larger/use slightly more RAM then the
equivalent 32bit apps. I can check easily: I have both 32bit and 64bit
versions of the same linux distro running (on different machines)
And those machines tell me that you are full of it

> there is a considerable downside to running
> 64-bit on most machines today.

When you talk about 64bit windows, you have a point
It is even a lot shittier than the 32bit variant, which is already shitty
enough

> Have you actually considered whether there is a point to 64-bit
> operation in your case, or do you just want it because it sounds cooler
> than 32-bit?

Have you ever considered that you may be quite wrong with your claims
Re:64bit?
--
Warning: You have moved the mouse.
Windows will reboot now to make the change permanent