[News] Germany Steps Up to Fight Anti-consumer Mess, Including DRM

Charter aims to strengthen rights of consumers in the digital world

,----[ Quote ]
| "For a long time we have looked at the issues from a supplier's
| perspective, focusing on questions of intellectual property and
| copyright," the politician, who is a member of the Christian
| Social Union (CSU), declared. Now it was time to look at them
| from a consumer perspective, he added. The object was to ensure
| equitable access to the worlds of digital information, to
| keep the repositories of knowledge open and enable transparency
| and "open innovation," he said.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/86874/from/rss09

"Open innovation". Because openness leads to innovation. Finally they resist
messages sent from large companies and monopolies, which insist that
proprieterisation and patents increase value for the consumer (while killing
small businesses).

Related:

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Why Microsoft will fight for DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| In a DRM-free world Windows Media formats are basically dead.
| Online stores locked out of the iPod because of FairPlay. Will
| not choose to lock themselves out by using only Windows Media if
| they use it at all. I think it?s obvious that the people at
| Microsoft know that. When the number one MP3 player will never
| support your format, Microsoft is left with a lot invested in
| something that won?t amount to much. The only way Microsoft
| can save its investment in Windows Media is to have a DRM
| Windows Media player that is a run away success. This is why
| Microsoft will not join with Apple in calling for a DRM-free
| world. They need DRM so they are going to fight for it.
`----

http://km.lqz.ca/blog/tech/microsoft-fight-drm/

Microsoft launches 'PlayReady' DRM system

,----[ Quote ]
| Although digital rights management (DRM) is popular with content
| creators, it has attracted criticism. Sony was widely attacked after
| using a rootkit-like application to hide content protection on some
| music CDs, and earlier this month Apple CEO Steve Jobs called on
| the music industry to drop its use of DRM.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6158553.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
| Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
| every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
| they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
| option enabled for critical updates.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

,----[ Quote ]
| He will be part of a lineup that includes the Microsoft Corp. CEO
| Steve Ballmer, 3M CEO George Buckley, UPS Chairman and CEO Michael Eskew,
| IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano and Wal-Mart Stores Vice Chairman John
| Menzer.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.v=2

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html