[News] Microsoft on Security: Cut Us Some Slack

Microsoft security guru wants Vista bugs rated less serious

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's own bug hunters should cut Windows Vista some slack and
| rate its vulnerabilities differently because of the operating
| system's new, baked-in defenses, according to the developer who
| is often the public persona of the company's Security Development
| Lifecycle (SDL) process.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9013378&taxonomyId=89
http://tinyurl.com/2p3dyc

Earlier today I saw them spreading the anti-RH FUD, again. They compare
apples with oranges.

I sometimes wonder how long it'll take before they pay people to mitigate
security criticisms, if they have not done so already. One analyst lost his
job because he criticised Windows and blamed Microsoft's monoculture for
security problems.

Related:

Vista still vulnerable

,----[ Quote ]
| Vulnerabilities in Windows Vista will plague users in coming months
| and years, a prominent security researcher warns, despite its
| security improvements over predecessor XP.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/security/vista-still-vulnerable/2007/02/26/1172338546822.html
http://tinyurl.com/2o82lf

Flaw found in Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Researchers have discovered a "highly critical" security flaw in
| newly released Office 2007, despite Microsoft's efforts to deliver
| its most secure version yet of the productivity software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6161835.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/