Re: [News] Microsoft's Virtualisation Technology Falls Behind, Snubs Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft's Virtualisation Technology Falls Behind, Snubs Linux
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:25:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:54:52 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

>> [But they are going to bundle it with the O/S, so who needs better
>> quality...]
>>
>> Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 lags behind competition
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft released its Virtual PC (VPC) 2007 virtualization software
>>| as freeware recently, and you definitely get what you pay for. VPC
>>| 2007 isn't Open Source, nor does it run on Linux. Linux isn't even
>>| mentioned as supported guest operating system, but since people
>>| have successfully run several Linux distributions through earlier
>>| versions of VPC, I decided to give it a go. After several hours
>>| of struggle, I found out why VPC 2007 doesn't claim to support
>>| Linux distros.
>> `----
>>
>> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/0953255&from=rss
>>

> Cue Hovsepian/Novell to explain why this is really good for a customer...

The article has some of positive things to say, along with the negative.
The bugbears are very slow installation of Linux OSen (Live CDs worked
well), and the lack of support for USB key storage devices, an obvious
drawback when saving one's work, drag and drop between guest and host OS
not being possible.

--
Kier