Re: [News] It's About Devices, Not the Desktop (the Big Chance for Linux)

In article <2644876.g1ilpof5Ln@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> __/ [ flyer ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 17:51 \__
>
> > In article <1672897.bGjReUFVSn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> >> Fujistu Siemens chief predicts the empty desktop
> >>

> > I'm looking foreward to a fat wrist device and holographic screen and
> > keyboard. Rollup, or foldup physical keyboard as accessory. I'll ALWAYS
> > use a keyboard.
>

> You mention a holographic screen, but I am not sure the "and" also suggests a
> holographic keyboard. Keyboards that are projected onto the desk already
> exist (Japanese product the size of a pencil). Voice recognition and
> tracking of the eye/hand is another thing that's heavily researched these
> days. Last year I participated in an experiment involving 3-D hand tracker
> that's used to interact with a 3-D interface. It tires the arm though.

I meant holo screen and also holo keyboard. I've seen the little salt
shaker sized keyboard projection device.

I don't like voice dictation at all. I like a good solid keyboard --
foldable OK.

Don properly -- research -- the tracking thing might be very good
eventually.

I guess good holo takes a severe memory volume to work. I wonder how long
for that.

> > Unless I get a Think-A-Tron mini headset for data input.
> >
> > Although since I can't control my jumbled thoughts...
> >
> > Heck, I'm migrating my mind to MentalLinux 3.0.
>

> Innovation drives products and products drive innovation. While companies
> that thrive in legacy try to suppress change, evolution in technology is
> inevitable. Just see what happened to Microsoft when they ignored Google and
> refused to adopt an AJAX-like approach back in the 90s when they saw its
> potential. They are behind in services, Web apps, and search. Lockins will
> fade away... it's a ticking time bomb and they will try to extract as much
> money as they can while it lasts. The employees will try to get a Microsoft
> paycheck for as long as possible (the talented ones escape elsewhere while
> they can) and shill in their blogs/Wikipedia whenever time permits.

Boy, suppressing change -- MS all the way.

Their "innovation" and "far thinking" locked them in a deeeeeeeeep bog of
"must not change."

I can't help wondering about confidence in MS, and as it dies, what will
happen more quickly than can be easily predicted -- "ticking time bomb."

I mean, can they crash like the stock market in the 40s?? Or can they
float on their cash adn stock game for a good while I wonder.