Re: Another reason for Linux

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 16:32 \__

> High Plains Thumper <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> They are certainly doing a good job of convincing me of going full
>> time to Linux, that is for sure.
>
> Go for it, you won't regret it.  My only copy of Windows is a
> Win2000 install running under VMWare in case I need to do something
> for a client.  I don't miss Windows at all.  With programs like
> Open Office, MythTV, XMMS, and Wine, I have my Linux systems doing
> all the stuff I previously used a Windows box for... and now they
> do a whole lot more.  I have no worries about my systems being
> infected with malware even when my nephew brings his borked
> WindowsXP system behind the firewall.
>
> The girlfriend and I were shopping the other day (picked up a new
> 16 port hub at a CompUSA that was going out of business).  Overheard
> a conversation someone was having about 'needing' to buy a copy of
> Vista to replace his unstable copy of WinXP.  The girlfriend and I
> just looked at each other and smiled.  We are so off of that
> treadmill.  :)

I'd second Thad's good advocacy. When I gave up on the last traces of Windows
(98, back in 2005) everything changed for the better. I no longer had
interoperability pains.

I think that HPT needs AutoCAD. CrossOver Office might be able to handle
this, until the program is ported to Linux (it's inevitable).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  5:00am  up 3 days 13:03,  6 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.38, 0.36