Re: [News] Vista Has Brought the Linux Revolution

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 00:08 \__

> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 05:18 John Locke wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 02:40:42 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>The time for revolution has come
>>>
>> I don't know if there will be revolution anytime soon...........but
>> on the other hand, I keep hearing about Government agencies,
>> schools, libraries and city governments switching over to
>> Linux. That could be significant.
>>
>> If I were Microsoft I would be very concerned about this trend.
>
> Oh yes.
> In fact, the impression that I get is that Linux adoption by the
> individual, the home user, grows slowly but steadily.
>
> Where the bigger change seems to be happening is as you say in agencies,
> institutions, companies.  I think that it's to be expected.  Those people
> (agencies, institutions, companies) will tend to have somebody on hand who
> is competent to deal with the installation, use and support - a competent
> administrator, in fact.
> By contrast, like any other technology (I'm thinking of the Home Computer,
> the Internet, Broadband) Linux will only take off for use by the individual
> when there is a situation in which every would-be home user knows somebody
> who can help.  i.e. somebody (friend, relative, etc) who himself uses
> Linux.
> What proportion that takes, I don't know.  Maybe 5% of home users, at which
> point you get exponential growth.
> That 5% is formed of early adopters, people who use it at work, etc.
> People like us, in fact.

Good point, good point. The 'support rope' is why Microsoft has been trying
to "knife the baby" (its own words) over the past few years. Or as Ballmer
said... let me just find a reference...

Got it!

Understanding Open Source technology

,----[ Quote ]
| [Ballmer:]"We have to outrun this phenomenon [Linux and Open Source]" he
| was quoted as saying, and " ...if we let up for a minute... then that other
| stuff will gain attraction."
`----

http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=01/31/2007&qrTitle=Understanding%20Open%20Source%20technology&qrColumn=ISSUES

But Stevie, you say that 'commie'/'cancer' stuff is terrible. Why -- and
/how/ on earth -- would it gain attraction? Is there something you're not
telling us?

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >
Mem:    514480k total,   482464k used,    32016k free,     6540k buffers