Re: OneCare users hopping mad at Microsoft over deleted e-mail

  • Subject: Re: OneCare users hopping mad at Microsoft over deleted e-mail
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 06:03:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 13 March 2007 23:05 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark spake thusly:
>
>> Typical Microsoft attitude and response.
>>
>> Its never Microsoft's fault.  Its always the user's fault.
>
> "Reboot. See if that fixes it."
> "Try uninstalling then reinstalling. That might fix it."
> "If nothing else works, reinstall Windows."
> "If your application keeps crashing, it's probably the power supply."
> "I'd check the graphics driver."
> "Do you have the latest BIOS".
>
> That last one is my personal favourite.
>
> The thing that strikes me most with Windows support, even when it comes
> through supposedly "official" channels, is the number of times you hear
> the words "might, maybe, could be, possibly, have you tried". Whereas
> with Linux support you're more likely to get affirmative responses like
> "line 25 of foobar.c is missing a semicolon termination to a
> declaration. You can apply the following patch and rebuild it yourself,
> or wait for an official update later today". And such responses are just
> as likely to come from enthusiasts, as official Linux support channels.
>
> The other most striking "feature" of Windows, is the overcomplexity (and
> invariable infeasibility) of the repair process, to the extent that a
> WipeNReinstall® is almost unavoidable. Really, how difficult can it
> actually be to verify the integrity of an application and its
> dependencies? Too difficult for Microsoft, I guess.

There's no centralisation. Compare to APT/RPM, even CNR.

An afterthought: be sure that there will be class actions against MS, which
choose to secretly patch the fault and reduce a justified outcy. Knowing
their EULAs are akin to "we sell you a damaged car, but don't come knocking
when it crashes (maybe with fatalities)", I would not expect much. Microsoft
is poor at programming, but it probably still attracts good lawyers (Apple
is good at marketing, Google raves about the gurus). They could get away
with murder. Lawyers and lobbysists put it above the law, even in Europe and
Asia.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, sit on your hands all day
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie