Re: [News] Windows and DST: Failure Stories Abound

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 03:21 \__

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/bang_goes_the_dst_time_bomb.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>> http://tinyurl.com/ynsvra
>
> What a mess.
>
> 2 *years* to prepare for this, and MS *still* couldn't get it right. No
> simple Windows Update solution for Win2K, "Hotfix charging" at an
> outrageous $4000.00 a time, and buggy patches that had little affect.

One could conveniently blame the competence of the programmers and their
level of familiarity with the code (many have left) [1], but I suspect that
the code just isn't sufficiently modular. Even Microsoft's mouthpiece
(Funkenbusch) admitted that it's true. Why else would Vista require 60% of
its existing codebase to have the rewrite brush applied [2]?

>> This should quiet the trolls down.

___
[1] Former Project Manager of Excel:

,----[ Quote ]
| The only way Microsoft has managed to hire so many people
| has been by lowering their hiring standards significantly...

[2]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux