Re: [News] Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 00:05 \__

> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 23:28 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux Learnings: We're Listening
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Thanks for visiting the Dell Linux Survey webpage. Please
>> | answer the following questions to help us determine how
>> | to best prioritize our resources for this effort.
>> |
>> |       (Survey will be open March 13-March 23)
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/linux?s=corp
>>

>> Recent:
>>
>> Dell takes small steps toward Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Dell has acknowledged that 83,000 users have urged it to sell PCs with
>> | Linux pre-installed, but it has fallen short of accepting their
>> | suggestion.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | While Dell responded to four other suggestions from the IdeaStorm,
>> | it chose not to respond to two of the top six requests, one asking
>> | for the provision of OpenOffice alongside Microsoft Office and one
>> | requesting that Dell's systems should be offered without an
>> | operating system for customers outside the U.S. Fifty-three thousand
>> | users promoted the first suggestion, and 32,000 voted for the
>> | latter.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6162164.html
>
> Well, there seems to be a lot of the "will she, won't she?" about this
> whole thing Roy, but I don't think one can fault the questions - they are
> the ones I'd expect them to ask if they (Dell) were serious!

She's a tease. Probably the PR battle against H-P. Make it last while they
can... just don't get your hopes up... *smile*

In any event, I am convinced that all these H-P/Dell loves Linux headlines
give the platform a lot of exposure. The average guy sees this as something
that gives legitimacy. Regardless of how it ends up, the longer it goes on,
the better, IMHO.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie