Re: The most powerful PCs in France

  • Subject: Re: The most powerful PCs in France
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:44:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 12 March 2007 23:58 \__

> On Monday 12 March 2007 23:21 [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that B Gruff spake thusly:
>>> Strange place, France.
>>>
>>> Strange political system....
>>>
>>> Briefly, people get a vote, they vote for whoever they wish to represent
>>> them, and then collectively those representative govern the country.
>>>
>>> Yep - you read that right.  Those people can actually tell Companies what
>>> do, and they do it!  Imagine that!  Very strange to those of you who are
>>> perhaps more accustomed to the Companies telling the Government what to
>>> do, and the Government doing it....
>>>
>>> Anyways, if you can imagine this strange set up, it's not too difficult
>>> to see who owns The Most Powerful PCs in France - they are of course the
>>> PCs owned/used by those representatives.
>>>
>>> As of June, they will all have new computers.
>>>
>>> Those computers will be loaded (all 1,154 of them) with Free (Libre -
>>> that's French for Free when it means "as in freedom") software, including
>>> OpenOffice, Firefox and a Free (Libre) e-mail client.
>>>
>>> The Operating System? .... Linux
>>>
>>> ....the Distribution?............ ubuntu:-)
>>>
>>> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/814/
>>

>> I wonder what the flight time is from Redmond Municipal to Charles de
>> Gaulle International.
>
> An interesting question, but from the way that the whole story has
> unfolded, and in view of the politics involved, I would have thought that
> (in this instance) it is not a trip that certain high-powered executives
> would be advised to make.
> I say this purely at the thought of how demeaning the *return* trip would
> probably be, sitting outside the aircraft astride the horizontal
> stabiliser...
>  - or as some say "going home with their tail between their legs"!

The French will very much welcome the visit.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/capt.dlm10103281515.france_job_protests_dlm101-thumb.jpg

The authority... not so much.

http://store.galleryplayer.com/Thumb/BE048068-R-4x3.jpg

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie