Re: [News] Operating System Predictions for the Next Couple of Years

  • Subject: Re: [News] Operating System Predictions for the Next Couple of Years
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:48:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 12 March 2007 07:03 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 20:33 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> In the world of media, spin, circumlocution and so on, a denial is
>>> worth, well, several column inches of speculation, anyway!
>>
>> I wonder if they hid their intentions or simply had a change of mind. At
>> the time (when I blogged it), Google cooperated with OpenOffice quite
>> closely and even sent its engineers over.
>>

> Maybe their intentions were not fully determined at that time, but I'd
> say for sure that if they're getting deeply involved in a project like
> openoffice, it's not for the good of their health...

Consider this:

Google: Media Play or IT Investment?

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion (as well as others'), its office productivity software
| lacks the breadth and width of the market leader. Schmidt hinted at
| Google's preference for open source software [OSS] so maybe it can
| come up with some better way parlaying Sun's OpenOffice than last
| year's PRware (OpenOffice still falls short of Microsoft's
| ubiquitous products).
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070307/28878_id.html?.v=2

Yesterday I saw a blog item suggesting that Google should buy OpenOffice (if
that's possible at all). I think they could get the best of both worlds...
Web-based and Open Source software, of which they have been doing a lot
recently (usuaully proprietary, quite sadly). I don't think they'll ever do
this though. OpenOffice weakens the cash cow of Google's big rival and foe
(Yahoo aside). They could assist OOo without ownership. They have helped
Firefox by promoting it in their SERPs.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S