[News] CLI: An Area Where Windows Has a Lot of Catching Up to Do

The Power of Linux Console

,----[ Quote ]
| Take it easy. Nobody says you have to use the console. You can configure
| your system, perform all the standard operations in the GUI mode. But..
| I'm not sure you really want to. Using the GUI is easy but remember the
| two things: the console is faster and more efficient.
|
| Don't believe? I've got examples
`----

http://polishlinux.org/why-linux/the-power-of-console/

Living in the command line, for linux: Making it Possible

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that a lot of people still don't know that you can run multiple
| virtual terminals. Most Linux distributions install to have 7
| virtual consoles, generally #7 (F7) is used by Xorg/X11. #1 (F1) is
| generally the boot process, or main login terminal. Of course you
| can access each virtual console with the key combination Ctrl+Alt+F#
| Using virtual terminals gives us the ability to do multitasking from
| the command line. You can run an audio player application on one
| virtual console while checking your email, and browsing the web
| on other virtual terminals.
`----

http://www.cyberpunkcafe.com/news.php?extend.96

Related:

Who needs the command line? (Well, actually, we all do)

,----[ Quote ]
| "We'll always have Paris", Humphrey Bogart said to Ingrid Bergman
| in the iconic climax of Casablanca - and we will always have the
| command line. Here's looking at you kid!
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/who_needs_the_command_line_we_all_do

Death of the command line

,----[ Quote ]
| It's hard for me to imagine using an OS without a strong command line.
| Even Microsoft has recognized the for that with their Monad Shell
| (though they are at least temporarily removing that from Vista). Linux
| of course has its Bash shell, Mac OS X has Terminal (which now defaults
| to Bash) - everybody knows you need a shell.
`----

http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/command_line_death.html

You use Command Lines all the time and don't know it!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Man, the heat Linux catches over command lines! The flames! The trolls!
| The clueless screaming for help! And all the while, command lines are
| right under your nose the whole time! Yes, even on the most mousy,
| GUI-driven, WIMPy, point-n-drool interface, whether it be Macs or
| Microsofties, you're typing commands into prompts every day!
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?p=156&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Microsoft PowerShell isn't Vista-ready, either

,----[ Quote ]
| As a few other bloggers noted yesterday, Microsoft's newly
| released PowerShell command-line shell and scripting language
| doesn't currently work with Windows Vista.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=105

Worm targets Windows PowerShell script

,----[ Quote ]
| Virus writers have created an experimental form of malware written in
| Windows PowerShell script, the command line and scripting language used by
| Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/01/powershell_worm/

Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

,----[ Quote ]
|     * C: CD ..
|     * C: ATTRIB ?H C:\boot.ini
|     * C:ATTRIB ?S C:\boot.ini
|     * C:ATRIB ?R C:\boot.ini
|     * C: del boot.ini
|     * C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild
|     * C: CHKDSK /R /F
|     * C: FIXBOOT
`----

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

Server Core: Windows Without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Server Core also recognizes -- based on painful experience -- that
| fewer "moving parts" in an operating system equates to fewer
| vulnerabilities, stability issues and maintenance points. Reducing the
| amount of code can help reduce the amount of bugs. That's what Server
| Core is all about.
`----

http://www.redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=640

Comments: