Re: [News] Study Reveals That Neutral Web Improves Service

Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:10:28 +0000,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> __/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 17:53 \__

>>> Roy, the Internet is very much *not* a democracy. Think about it.
>>
>> True, but it does give more peoeple a voice, I think. The barriers to entry
>> are fairly low.
>>

> Agreed, but what does that have to do with democracy? :)
>
> It's much closer to a state of anarchy. I hope it stays that way.
> Democracy is just the flipside of mob rule, 4 wolves and a sheep, voting
> on what's for lunch.

I'd have to agree with that, although I'd say that it's particularly
close to communistic anarchy or anarchic communism - I can never recall
which way around you're supposed to say it.  Ursula Leguin wrote an
excellent book exploring this kind of government, although it had to be
said, her perspective was never all that positive :-)

Anyway, whichever way you put it, the point is that all the internet's
resources are available to everyone irrespective of their social
position, or, to a reasonable degree, their personal wealth (obviously
there are exeptions).  Of course, this access is particularly restricted
by the lack of a scalable and capable streaming protocol, but those
kinds of transaction which do not need streaming are fine.