Re: Staying safe without anti-virus

  • Subject: Re: Staying safe without anti-virus
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 10 Mar 2007 21:28:54 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mar 10, 9:28 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> __/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 03:56 \__
>
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6431853.stm
> Second photo: a very rudimentary GUI (worse than IceWM) showing you that
> microsoft.com is at the centre of the universe.

It is ironic that Microsoft claims to have such a great UI, and yet
the aggressive competition between KDE, GNOME, and other Linux and
UNIX GUIs, including Apple's OS/X Tiger interfaces, make even Vista
with Aero seem primitive in comparison.

> Third photo: Bill Gates looking worried, with the
> caption "Virus writers are
> porting their programs to Vista".

It seems that there wasn't much porting effort required.
<quote>
Microsoft fails second virus test

Microsoft's Live OneCare security software has failed tests which
check how well it spots and stops malicious programs designed to
attack Windows.

OneCare was the only failure among 17 anti-virus programs tested by
the AV Comparatives organisation.

Microsoft's software only spotted 82.4% of the 500,000 viruses that
the independent group subjected it to.

The test is the second in less than a month that Microsoft's anti-
virus software has failed.
</quote>