Re: Linux BIOS

__/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Sunday 11 March 2007 02:59 \__

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:40:58 +0000, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
>> I'm sure someone's posted this before, but what the hell...
>>
>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuzRsXKm_NQ
>>
>> Linux BIOS with onboard X server, plus assorted goodies.  6 second
>> boot, plus 2 to launch GUI.
>
> Amazing. I can see the next Microsoft 'innovation' following shortly.
> There again, perhaps not. No way could Microsoft fit all that in a
> current BIOS chip.
>
> Great link Kelsey. There are no bounds to OSS. :-)

Yesterday I saw a further enhancement to this. The video was mentioned last
week, but ever since it received exposure people have experimented with the
idea, AFAICT. There's also a Debian Linux for embedded devices which boots
in under 2 seconds. But who needs to boot anyway? Unless of course no
service is run, in which case energy can be saved...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
  3:02am  up 2 days 11:09,  5 users,  load average: 1.30, 0.91, 0.91