Re: [News] Oracle to Back Linux Immunity Against Ludicrous Software Patent

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 21:01 \__

>> Oracle joins Linux patent commons
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| OIN members -- which currently include IBM, NEC, Novell, Philips,
>>| Red Hat, and Sony -- agree to assign software patents that might
>>| affect Linux to the OIN. These patents can then be used by anyone
>>| in Linux without having to pay any royalty fees or having to worry
>>| about future law suits.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS3296732522.html
>>

> This shows that the giants are lining up against Microsoft here, with
> good reason, too.  Actually, Microsoft and Novell.  I do wonder how
> Novell can possibly imagine that their position is remotely justifiable.
> Anyway, well done Oracle for doing the right thing.

They defend their territory. They need Linux and they know it.

"Oracle #1 on Linux With More Than 80% Market Share"
http://www.evolvingtimes.co.uk/technologies/linux/index.html

A ruthless friend is still a protective friend to have, I suppose.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
Swap:  1036184k total,   396160k used,   640024k free,    38840k cached