Re: [News] Prominent Anti-Linux SAPPER Quits Company

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 21:11 \__

http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=957082A8%2DB43F%2D44B8%2DA0CC%2D29CFA8CF468F

> Ah, that old argument again.  This argument was used to "prove" that
> there would never be an open-source GUI of any quality or capability.
> Erik was one of the people who used to spout it a lot.  It was quite
> wrong then, of course, indeed, history has proven it to be wrong, and is
> just as wrong now.  Basing your business strategy on how you think a
> programmer might be motivated seems more than a little naive, so I
> presume SAP have some other strategy which they've yet to reveal.

Here's what I said when I initially posted this:

"Suppose Mr. Kagermann has not yet heard of commercial Open Source software,
which can be downloaded and installed for free. It relies on support,
services, and setup. There is plenty of financial software that is platform
independent and Open Source nowadays. It benefits from patches contributed
by users, so development and testing is fast."

The same goes for Red Hat, Novell, Xen, the Linux Foundation... they have
money circulating. People are being paid to work on Free software --
esentially writing code that they can take home at the end of the day (and
even fork some time in the future, or take to a different company).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 117 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie