Re: [News] China's Largest Software Company Moves from Microsoft to Open Platforms

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> China's UFIDA Embraces Open Standards, Partners With IBM to Reach New
> Markets
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Prior to working with IBM, UFIDA's business solutions were based solely
> | on Microsoft's .NET/SQL technology. To continue growing its business,
> | UFIDA identified the need for an open platform as a key factor in
> | achieving global success. The company, making a conscious decision to
> | build on open standards and deploy their applications on J2EE,
> | partnered with IBM to develop its new enterprise resource planning
> | (ERP) solutions based on IBM's open middleware offerings.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070328/0231546.html
>

> Last week in a large Japanese software maker:
>
> Open-source shift also occurring in our company. (March 12, 2007)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to press reports, the customs service of the government of
> | Cuba is already using LINUX, the open-source operating system, and other
> | Cuban government agencies also plan to shift to open-source software in
> | the near future.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Of course we continued some Microsoft license agreements that we judged
> | to be absolutely indispensable for responding to the needs of our
> | customers, but on a company-wide basis, OpenOffice is now our office
> | software standard. As a rule, our employees now use only
> | freely-available open-source software for creating documents,
> | spread-sheets, and presentation materials.
> `----

http://gemal.dk/blog/2005/01/10/bill_gates_calls_free_culture_advocates_communists/?from=rss-category

The rate that Linux is taking off in China and India, their kids are growing
up probably able to run rings round many of you old folk and are ahead of
the game when it comes to the west.

I'm still young and will forever remain so as I found an Irishman who for
only a few pounds sold me the secret of eternal youth. It's called Guiness,
I feel a bit guilty because he shared this great secret with me and I only
gave him a fiver, but it's not my fault he has no business sense.

In a few years time it may well be that all of the innovation in Linux is
coming from India and China.