Re: [News] Dell Talks About Linux Preinstallation Again (and It Sounds Encouraging)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:24:13 GMT
<xbeOh.840$NK2.539@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Dell and Linux Make History
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I recently received a note that could very well be the making of
>> | history. Even with the obvious distaste coming from Microsoft,
>> | we are witnessing Dell looking to offer Linux as an OS option.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7814
>

> How does dell$ make a commercial PC?
> At the moment it can't without illegal overcharging of micoshaft customers.
>
> 1. First, they get micoshaft to illegally overcharge micoshaft customers.
> 2. Micoshaft then illegally allocate that overcharged money
>    to dell$ customers instead of micoshaft customers.
> 3. Then dell$ installs the monopoloy OS.
> 4. Then dell$ goes cap in hand to micoshaft for money back hander
> 5. Then micoshaft illegally pays dell$ monopoly antitrust back hander
>    compatible money.
> 6. Then micoshaft and dell$ cover up their inefficent money
>    thiefing operation from EU regulators by making all the
>    payments outside the EU.
> 7. There! Bob is your uncle, and your pista pre-loaded machine is sold
>    illegally at below cost prices by dell$ in the EU subsidised by
>    overcharged micoshaft customers paying dell$ in USA.
>
> If dell$ now tries to make and sell to its customers
> a commercially produced PC with Linux,
> then dell$ does not get micoshaft back hander that was
> originally overchaged to micoshaft customers.
>
> Thus for dell$ the price of having to sell a commercially
> produced Linux PC is same as windopz PC, plus the cost of
> the back hander they need to receive by overcharged micoshaft customer.
>
> This is why dell$ linux PCs are charged to dell$ customers
> at a higher price than windopz PCs.
>
> EU regulators? One wonders how they can sleep after living off the fat
> of tax payers money.

I think you're overstating it a bit, though they do play
some interesting games in that area (and it's very hard to
tell what they are discussing in those back rooms, though
I doubt they're smoke-filled nowadays).  Dell's worst
failing, however, at least from the viewpoint of an online
buyer, appears to be that they go through a completely
different (and somewhat unobvious) branch-browse-path on
their website to sell OSS machines, as opposed to the more
straightforward path of:

- select the machine
- select the hardware
- put the stuff one wants on it OS wise
- put the additional stuff one wants on it app wise
- any additional accessories such as extra batteries,
  rechargers, cables

It is not that obvious that the second blue bar (below
the blue-gray affair representing tabbed capabilities) is
in fact a *menu*, especially on non-Javascript browsers,
though the downtriangles help a little.

The "Open Source Desktop" gray button has vanished.

Whether this is actionable or not, I for one can't say.
"Separate but equal", anyone?

A subissue: only the high-end Workstations get a Linux
slapped on them for "free", and it turns out to be a RedHat
Enterprise variant.  The lower-priced OSS machines might
get a FreeDOS disk and a page of instructions, and I'm not
sure about either one of those.

Servers were (and hopefully are) more honest, though
I've not looked lately; many of them will offer both
RH Enterprise and Windows 2003, for the appropriate
additional price.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);