Re: [News] A Look at Latest Frugalware, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 27 March 2007 15:15 \__

http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2007/03/25/kubuntu-ubuntu-704-beta-released-our-screenshots/
>>> http://tinyurl.com/ytjhv3
>>
>> I wish I could understand Ubuntu's popularity. This isn't a grumble, they
>> are obviously giving people what they want and it is great to see that in
>> Linux world a new distro can come along and work it's way to to the top of
>> the distros, so long as it has something to offer.
>>
>> My only point is that I personally couldn't see what Ubuntu was offering
>> that others weren't. It installs well, runs well in the short period that
>> I played with it, though I must say that even before I tried Ubuntu I
>> already knew which distro I would be having on the machine I tried it on.
>> But I couldn't see anything that I didn't already have on my prefered
>> distro.
>>
>> Except one thing and maybe this is the the big difference. The Ubuntu
>> forums are very good. Well supported with a range of skills. I wonder if
>> that is really the key to Ubuntu's success.
>>
>> As I said, this isn't a grumble, I'm happy that they are having success.
>>

> The liveCD capability is very good, which makes it very easy for people
> to test the distro without an install.  The automatic hardware detection
> is the best which I've found; it's way beyond anything from the Windows
> world, too.  The package management is, of course, straight out of debian,
> and that was probably the strongest feature of debian.  They have not
> used the debian menu system, which I think is a mistake.
>
> The relatively limited set of applications and choices plays to the
> "choice is bad" crowd well indeed, but that said, it's a trivial enough
> matter to add lots of other debian respositories anyway.
>
> I'd say that they've focussed on an additional step of integration/setup
> of packages, rather than breadth of applications - this is probably due
> to the non-democratic nature of Ubuntu when compared with Debian.
>
> On the other side, for straight stability, I would expect debian to
> outperform ubuntu.
>
> It has a kewl name, and South African roots, so kudos from that, too.
>
> Things come and go - it wasn't all that long ago that Knoppix was the
> distro of the moment, so it remains to be seen whether Ubuntu retains
> its top-dog position.

Mepis and PCLinuxOS could give it a run for its money. In fact, any
independent derivative of Ubuntu (e.g. Mint, Freespire) has nothing to blush
about when facing Ubuntu. As long as the branching does not introduce some
bugs (e.g. packages conflict), there's plenty of choice and I suspect that
Ubuntu's brown affinity doesn't get it many friends. it might be too late to
compromise the visual identity...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
Swap:  1036184k total,   352840k used,   683344k free,    30876k cached