[News] Georgia Tech Moves from Proprietary LMS to Free Open Source Software

Unicon Assists Georgia Tech with Transition to Open Source Sakai from
Proprietary Learning Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| "We believe they made the right choice as the open source Sakai will
| give them a much lower total cost of ownership, allow them to own
| and control their own software enhancements, and also allow them
| to contribute to and participate in the growing and thriving
| Sakai community."
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070326005977&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/28ldrt

Consultancies appear to set up and maintain the system. Whenever extensions
are created, they can be contributed back to the main branch and percolate
onto all other downloads, bringing mutual benefits to all schools and
colleges. As time goes by, proprietary software will just lag behind. Just
look at the number of free Firefox and WordPress extensions...

Also this month:

Melbourne uni drops Unix for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| In the meantime, new applications, like the student portal,
| are being deployed on Linux.
`----

http://www.comuterworld.com.au/index.php/id;1810776935;fp;4194304;fpid;1

University finds freedom, flexibility in open source business intelligence

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/23/1729236&tid=101&tid=115