Re: [News] A Deeper Look at Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (Beta) and Firefox 3.0 (Alpha)

John Locke wrote:

> Maybe its just me...but I get this feeling that Linux is about to
> come of age. It seems that good things keep happening on a regualr
> basis.

Good things have been happening wrt Linux ever since Linus made the
code available on the Internet.

Since then development of Linux and FOSS in general has been
accelerating year by year. Other than niche applications which haven't
been ported to Linux (yet), Linux and FOSS are the obvious choice
whether it be servers, super computers, embedded devices or the
desktop.

Add in the price, stability, security and support for Linux and FOSS
and it is clear why many companies and governments are adopting it.
After 5 years all Microsoft have produced is a new GUI that has
absurd HW requirements. In fact, it is much worse than that, a lot
of existing Windows SW won't even run on it.

Compare this to the huge advancements in FOSS over the same period of
time yet without requiring a HW upgrade for most.

Vista is without a doubt the best news for FOSS ever. Microsoft would
have been far better to issue an XP service pack. Vista offers so
little. More bloat, hassle and cost are not what any customer wants.