[News] 'Snake Oil' Marketing and Atribution in GNU/Linux

More snake oil in medical IT, Practice Fusion's "Google Partnership" bunk

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I have been targeting companies that have been trying to use
| "open source" in marketing, without holding to either free software,
| or even the lesser open source ideals. However, recently, a company
| tried a different kind of snake oil marketing.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/more_snake_oil_in_medical_it_practice_fusion_s_google_partnership_bunk
http://tinyurl.com/3xfz4s

Microsoft does this as well, corrupting the meaning of "Open Source" and
pushing others to the roots of "Free software".

Marketing - Linux vs FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want PR and marketing, you do not go to the engineering
| department.  Ask an engineer for a quote and you're liable to get
| an oratory full of recursive acronyms and technical jargon.
| Nothing like that is going to get carried by the mainstream media.
|
| [...]
|
| But there is still a gap.  This advertising is for "Linux", "Novell"
| and "SUSE" and has nothing to say about GNU or the FSF.  For that,
| you'll still have to head over to the engineering department for a
| brochure and a lecture.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/3/24/16779/

Related:

Using open source as a marketing ploy

,----[ Quote ]
| This is typical trend riding fluff. If you go the Aras website you
| read about "Microsoft Enterprise Open Source Solutions", which is
| comical in and of itself.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/more_open_sourc.html

A New Evangelist for Microsoft