Re: [News] Compaq Says Installing Linux Voids Its Hardware Warranty

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 22:16 \__

> On Saturday 24 March 2007 20:03 John Locke wrote:
>

>>>People need to get off the idea that these "brand name" vendors offer any
>>>kind of advantage.   You can get a much better deal at any local whitebox
>>>dealer -- faster chips, better video and so on, for much less.   What is
>>>more, almost everyone I know who buys these Big Name computers ends up
>>>with some crazy funky hardware problem or configuration issue even if they
>>>still with the preinstalled OS.
>>
>> Due to popular demand, the local computer shop will now install  Linux
>> with full warranty.  I believe the current default install is Open
>> Suse,  however they will install other distros as well.
>>
>> Things are beginning to change.
>
> Thanks for that John.
> That's most refreshing to hear.
> No question that such a machine will run Linux then?:-)
>
> btw was it you who said (a few weeks ago) that their local shop had a price
> list which actually showed a Windows machine costing more than a bare or
> Linux machine - an up-front price list, in fact?

Over a year ago I spotted cases where Windows XP is sold (and charged for)
separately, saving the buyer of a PC as much as 100 pounds (can't recall the
exact amount). It is safe to assume, therefore, that the machine was
Linux-ready. That's just what I see where I live... I don't know about other
places...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: Windows XP with bling-bling, nothing else
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S