Re: [News] Medical System Dumps Windows, Uses Linux Instead

Hadron Quark wrote:

> "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Someone with a Microsoft EULA can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
> > think the license allows Windows to be used in any life safety
> > applications.
>
> What is a life safety application?
>
> Would this be, for instance, a router mapper? Or a cookery program? I
> can see how dodgy advice in either could lead to death ....

Good question. Windows running apparatus controlling heart/lung machines
would definitely be out. But what about a system for which a failure in
the form of corrupted data could result in misdiagnosis or an incorrect
procedure being performed?

I guess its up to the lawyers. Its perfectly OK with Microsoft if you
run your entire hospital IT system on Windows. But when someone dies as
a result of a data screw-up, such a nebulous and poorly defined
statement is a CYA move.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto:Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
How do I set a laser printer to stun?