Re: [News] Microsoft to Avoid Open Standards in Television

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 22 March 2007 06:49 \__

>> Microsoft shuns IPTV open standards - is a web TV format war brewing?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| As if consumers didn't have enough to contend with, the fact
>>| Microsoft and Alcatel-Lucent have shunned the Open IPTV Forum
>>| could mean we'll have another ludicrous format war on our hands.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/10664/1085/
>>

> As the article says, I think that the world is just sick to death of
> these battles.  They don't add any value into the consumer space, and
> consume vast resources in the supply lines.  Additionally, those people
> who buy the wrong thing end up paying twice, too.
>
> Surely it's time to go back to the days of real standards, and debate
> and discuss /before/ releasing half-baked proprietary cakes onto an
> increasingly weary public.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just look at all those who object to implementation
of two standards for documents. They cite exactly that same reason. Of
course, Microsoft has some 'connections', so it can usually get its way.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

One person' diction is another's verbiage