Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Its MP3 Defense, Starts Patent Counter Attack

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 13:05 \__

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/judge-rules-against-microsoft-mp3/story.aspx?guid=%7BE2FF92C7%2D637B%2D4F44%2DA185%2DE4F166C4D04B%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
>> http://tinyurl.com/ynm3sn
> [sniperoo]
>> You can taste the irony of Microsoft's patent positions on MP3 and Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Just when fear enjoys a energetic caddy (Ballmer) on Microsoft's
>> | repeated foray into Linux legal uncertainty, a real law suit with
>> | real trial lawyers and a real jury ironically slaps down Microsoft
>> | as a potential world-record intellectual property (IP) infringer.
>> | Yup, Microsoft the purported victim of Linux, is in fact the major
>> | MP3 format predator, or so says the assemblage of 12 informed peers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2419
>
> Oh Dear, MS are not having a very good week are they? Or month ... or
> year for that matter. Yup, there's definitely a strong smell of irony in
> the air.
>
> However, as much as I despise MS, I half hope they win this one. I'd
> rank the so-called MP3-licensors up there with the RIAA & MPAA. If
> Lucent wins, expect the flood gates to open, and all those who
> criticised Fedora for purging MP3 from the distro will have their answer.

I think I've read somewhere that Vista Basic does not play MP3s ouf ot the
box, but somehow I doubt it,

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  2:00pm  up 9 days 22:03,  8 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.41, 0.61