Re: [News] Linux Bootloader for XBox360 Has Come Along

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Bootloader for XBox360 Has Come Along
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:31:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Tuesday 20 March 2007 23:47 \__

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/27/xbox-360-vulnerability-found-homebrew-could-be-just-around-the/

>> GDC: Xbox 360 backwards compatibility soon to be forgotten
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft plans to decrease focus on backwards compatibility in
>> | favor of concentrating on future Xbox 360 titles.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=105410&AFC-HSUIT&ATTR=DIGG
>
> Wow... it's almost "there". When I can install linux on ANY xbox360, then
> I'll get involved. Personally, I can't wait to start using Xbox360's as  my
> internet appliance of choice.
>
> Now this is a Microsoft WOW moment...

But they make profits on it, I think. Vanity based on numbers for game
makers.. margins in production improving over time... might as well just
cobvert existing (and rejected) boxes, putting them to /real/ use.

I can recall the story about a university that serves Web pages from an XBox.
Someone removed it, not realising it was an important piece of equipment
that affected quite a few people.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    X-No-Archive: No. Stand behind what you say
Mem:    514480k total,   477308k used,    37172k free,     7008k buffers