[News] [Rival] Despite Microsoft Office Price Drops, Sales Are Poor

Only 15,000 people buy Office 2007 for $75

,----[ Quote ]
| A mere 15,000 people have taken up Microsoft Australia's offer to
| get Office Ultimate 2007 for just $75, possibly disproving the
| argument that if Microsoft dropped the price of software, people
| who might otherwise pirate it would buy it.
`----

http://apcmag.com/6071/only_15_000_people_take_up_microsofts_offer_of_office_2007_for_75

Google vs. Microsoft Office? NO: vs. Open Office (.org)!

,----[ Quote ]
| "Bringing OpenOffice to the Internet," Mahdi Abdulrazak, Chief GravityZoo
| Evangelist, proclaimed to me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=1322

Some argue that Office will be given for free (in one form or another if it
fails to evolve to the Web era). And another monopoly falls apart...

SKorea's Internet portal operators under anti-trust probe

,----[ Quote ]
| The watchdog said early this year it would investigate portal
| operators for their alleged abuse of market dominance and other
| unfair business activities.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070509/tc_afp/skoreainternettradeprobe

The cash cows won't last, with or without wide ODF adoption.

Related:

Microsoft's Record Quarter: Shareholders Paid for Most of the Upside Surprise

|    "Said another way, Microsoft achieved record breaking earnings during
|    the Vista launch quarter by taking money out of its assets, not
|                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|    through amazing sales of Vista and Office."
|    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
|    Now taking money of its savings account isn't necessarily a big deal.
|    ... However, as a point in contrast, Apple Inc. has been launching a
|    lot of products over the last nine months and has added almost $2
|    billion to its balance sheet and assets in the same period that
|    Microsoft's assets dropped $6 billion.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34354_id.html?.v=1

Poor Design by Microsoft - "Save As" Button in 2007 Excel has been located!

,----[ Quote ]
| In an experiment 4 out of 5 users took longer than 2 minutes to find
| the SAVE AS button. And 3 of those users needed to use the PAPER CLIP
| (CLIPPY). This is clearly poor design upon Microsoft. They never think
| about the end user. The menu structure is horrific and it has been
| proven inefficient!
`----

http://www.fumbled.org/2007/04/20/poor-design-by-microsoft-save-as-button-in-2007-excel-has-been-located/

Bold Redesign Improves Office 2007 But Learning Curve May Be Too Steep for
Some Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "it requires a steep learning curve that many people might rather avoid.
| In my own tests, I was cursing the program for weeks"

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business launch
| on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
| Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
| the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
| ever disaster.

Question: why do I need to upgrade to Office 2007?

,----[ Quote ]
| Much has been said and written about Microsoft's "bold", "gutsy",
| and "innovative" initiative of releasing Office 2007, an office
| productivity suite with a totally new user interface. However, the
| question that is bound to be on the lips of every user will be: "why
| do I need to upgrade?" Microsoft doesn't really have a good answer.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft, however, claims to have come up with something better
| and more intuitive - the Ribbon. Such a claim begs the question:
| "If the new user interface of Office 2007 is so intuitive, why does
| it have a learning curve?" And it does have a learning curve - a
| very steep learning curve.

Office 2007 Review: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been using Office 2007 for a couple of weeks and I'm convinced
| that Microsoft missed an opportunity to change the way we relate to
| software by taking one step toward radical change, but ultimately
| failing when it came to implementation.
`----

http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2007/04/office_2007_one.html

Vole redesigns our Office space

,----[ Quote ]
| It's hard to define, but the new office suite feels good and is
| comfortable to use. That said if your requirements don't stretch
| beyond the normal usage of the odd letter, a spreadsheet to
| balance your budget and some email then there isn't a lot to
| recommend forking over cash for Office 2007, when there are
| several free options out there are increasingly attractive
| and compatible with Office documents.
|
| The Good
| Ribbon interface quite intuitive
| Interface is attractive and easy to use
|
| The Bad
| Quite expensive
| Free applications available that can perform the same tasks
| No major improvements over previous versions
|
| The Ugly
| Too many components seem solely designed to leverage synergies or something
| No option to revert to old interface
`----

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37376

Is Imitation The Sincerest Form of Flattery?

,----[ Quote ]
| As many as 8 of the top 10 benefits of Microsoft Office 2007
| provide capabilities that have already been addressed by Corel
| WordPerfect Office X3. Some "new" features of Microsoft Office
| 2007 have even been part of Corel WordPerfect Office for
| close to a decade!
`----

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Content_C1&cid=1166553933785&lc=en&pagename=CorelCom%2FLayout&trkid=wpe0107ft
http://tinyurl.com/2key74

And the centre of your desktop is...

,----[ Quote ]
| We had an overwhelming response to our reader poll in this area with over
| 4,800 of you participating, so thanks to those who took the time.
|
| [...]
|
| The only competition at the moment is from open source office suites,
| OpenOffice in particular, which around one in five Reg readers are
| personally using.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/desktop_office_suites/

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html