Re: [News] [Linux] Dell's Linux PCs Will Indeed Be Cheaper Than Windows PCs

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 08 May 2007 17:42:55 +0100
<3012770.Fn7eDbRAyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 08 May 2007 16:40 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 08 May 2007 02:20:41 +0100
>> <1801064.Et0dc7vdks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 07 May 2007 17:27 \__

>>> http://schestowitz.com/Amusement/images/dell-linux.jpg
>>>

>> <strange voice> I see live penguins....</strange voice>
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Interestingly, I *am* seeing Dell selling Novell SuSE Linux
>> Enterprise Server, Red Hat software server packages, and
>> Intel compilers for Linux, when searching Dell for "Linux".
>> Unfortunately, the first thing I see when searching for
>> "Linux notebooks" are ... laser printers?  (Well, OK, so
>> I could fill my notebooks with pages printed from these,
>> so in a way, that might work...)
>>
>> If I search for "Linux desktops", I get a Dell Precision
>> 490 multi-core Intel Xeon unit with ... Genuine Windows
>> Vista or XP?  Choosing it eventually leads me to a config
>> screen with a single choice for Operating System (Win XP
>> Professional SP2 w/media) plus a "Help Me Choose" link
>> which is a short blurb on why one needs an OS (short and
>> sweet: to run application programs and provide support
>> for managing/sharing data and peripherals), plus a mildly
>> amusing suggestion that this particular unit offers Vista
>> -- when it doesn't.
>>
>> Hello, disconnect?  Clue phone, line two.
>>
>> (Depends on where I click, as well.  Maybe they've got
>> excess XP units.  I clicked on the computer/monitor's
>> picture, but one can also click on the big green "Customize
>> with WinXP" or "Customize with WinVista" buttons.)
>>
>> <voice mode="Desi">Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do!</voice>
>>
>> :-)
>
> Advertising is a funny topic. Just days ago:
>
> Dell To Fix Misleading Advertising Links
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In some Google searches for Linux computers, Dell advertisements have
> | cropped up in the advertising links, leading unsuspecting users to
> | Windows-only computers at Dell's website. After initially being
> | ignored, LXer finally gets a response from Dell.
> `----
>
> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/86591/index.html

Dell is *such* a tease, aren't they? :-)  To be sure, I'd
be satisfied with an OpenDesktop with FreeDOS, since I
already have Linux-capable equipment -- just burn a Ubuntu
or Gentoo and shove it in its face, and I'm good to go.

But a total n00b with his first-ever computer might be a
little harder to set up -- though one might contemplate
various scenarios, including burning CDs at an internet
cafe, or just borrowing a friend's Ubuntu/Gentoo/Fedora
disc for awhile.

I'll admit to some mild curiosity as to whether FreeDOS
has a usable CD-burner; my assays are not all that
conclusive yet.

> This one is older:
>
> Google starts running Dell Linux Desktop ads
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | While working on my personal blog site, which happens to have Google
> | Adsense ads running on it, I was surprised to find Google ads for
> | Linux-powered Dell desktops showing up.
> `----
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6557150707.html
>
> +1 for poetic merits! Sorry I don't reply so often...

No problems.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
a lot of hot air and vapor.