[News] [Linux] Robotics Success for Linux, Mobile Failure for Windows

We, Robots: Open Source Robotics

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Orocos is nothing like, say, the Linux kernel, which after
| some configuration and adding a number of tools, runs on pretty
| much any 32-bit and quite a few 64-bit architectures once would
| care to think of. Indeed, Orocos is likely to use the Linux kernel
| itself via a real-time interface to talk to hardware.
`----

http://www.tuxdeluxe.org/node/183

The Emperor Has No Close

,----[ Quote ]
| So why is it that there's no easy way to actually close apps on
| Windows Mobile devices?  Sharpen your pitchforks, collect your torches,
| sit back, and I?ll tell you.
|
| [...]
|
| In the beginning there were Microsoft Handheld PCs and Palm Pilots.
| The Handheld PC interface looked a lot like the Desktop PC interface.
| It had a desktop where you could drag around icons.  There was a
| taskbar across the bottom that showed which apps were running.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2006/10/05/The-Emperor-Has-No-Close.aspx

They reused the code of an O/S which we already known is broken (inheriting
bad DNA). Palm, on the other hand, has chosen Linux. No wonder Microsoft
launched Project Singularity, which they argue is just about research. They
need to replace Windows.

Related:

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-finds-more-windows-mobile-flaws/

How to crash a Windows mobile using MMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers have released proof-of-concept code that exploits
| vulnerabilities in MMS implementations in mobile phones running
| mobile versions of Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/windows_mms_vuln/

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284532,00.htm

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-crossbow-en.shtml