[News] [Rival] Putin on Microsoft Piracy Fine: "Utter Nonsense"

Teacher fined for Microsoft piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Putin has described the case as "utter nonsense" and former Soviet
| President Mikhail Gorbachev even asked Microsoft co-founder Bill
| Gates to intercede on the teacher's behalf.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/05/07/russia.microsoft.reut/index.html?eref=rss_tech

Related:

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Raikes, head of the company's business group, said at a
| recent investor conference that while the company is against
| piracy, if you are going to pirate software, it hopes you pirate
| Microsoft software. He cited the above reasoning, noting that
| users of pirated Microsoft software are likely to purchase from
| the company later on.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070312/165448.shtml

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.

Microsoft snubs Gorbachev over piracy plea

,----[ Quote ]
| However Microsoft has said it did not bring the case against Ponosov,
| this was done by the public prosecutor's office in Russia.

Linux and Windows in Russian schools

,----[ Quote ]
| I just noticed this blog entry (in Russian) from an advanced Linux
| user, where he offers free help to every teacher (or their boss)
| who'd like to start teaching Linux, and gives a few links to
| other such projects, such as "The winter Linux school for teachers"
| (in Russian) organized by ALTLinux together with a few other
| institutions. A few other projects do exist. Hopefully, such
| projects, together with the "antipiracy" campaign will lead to
| more Linux and open source in Russian schools.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070130-080943.html

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html