[News] [OSS] Microsoft Could Save Self by Going Open Source, But It's Not Able To

Why Microsoft can't ship open source code

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem boils down to code pedigree, the nightmare scenario,
| and software patents.
`----

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2007/05/02/why-microsoft-can-t-ship-open-source-code.aspx

Core, Complement, and Context: Channeling Geoffrey Moore on Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| But this is also why I maintain that Microsoft could now publish most
| of their software using open source licenses to advantage --
| including Windows and Office (were it legally possible). Their
| core competency today is actually tied up in the capital (human
| knowledge and physical) and processes that enable the Windows and
| Office distros and support to be delivered through the global
| channel, and no longer in the source code base itself. Microsoft
| could use open source communities to re-invigorate the franchises.
`----

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/05/core_complement.html

Related:

Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

,----[ Quote ]