Re: [News] [Linux] Open Source and Linux Continue to Spread in South African Education

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 04 May 2007 19:38 \__

>> Uncertainty over Microsoft schools deal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The current agreement between the Department of Education and Microsoft
>>| that allowed South African public schools free Microsoft licences is
>>| soon coming up for renewal. Whether the deal will be renewed and what
>>| the details of the deal will be, still remain uncertain.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1448
>
> There's nothing 'free' here, rather, it was the standard drug-dealer's
> offering.  Trying to get some of the poorest people in the world hooked
> on Microsoft in order to make Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates even more
> rich.
>
> No doubt there are huge pressures being brought to bear on the South
> African government at the moment - indeed, I wonder if the US's
> Ambassador hasn't been used for strong-arm tactics as has happened
> elsewhere.  I expect Microsoft will look to put some South African
> people out of work in order to get their deal through.

Thye tried this in Denmark. It's extortion.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
Swap:  1036184k total,   533032k used,   503152k free,    35144k cached