Re: [News] [Rival] British Library in Bed with Microsoft, Hands Over E-mails

> Britain: E-Mail Time Capsule in Works
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Now the British Library is appealing to ordinary Britons for their
>| e-mails, saying it wants to create a snapshot of British life in 2007.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The e-mails will be collated and indexed by Microsoft Corp., which
>| has previously partnered with the library to digitize books from
>| its archive, and they will be available to researchers before
>| the year's end.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070503/britain_e_mail_archive.html?.v=1
>
> You might ask why they are 'in bed' together. Have a look at the link below.
> Like the BBC, their little relationship with Microsoft is used to shut out
> those who do not pay 'Windows/Vista tax'. It is information the public
> actually pays, but requires Microsoft's tools to view.

You are kidding?  Who on earth is agreeing to these deals?  This is a
most appalling level of corruption.  I wonder just how much of my tax
money has been handed over to Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates whilst they
create a system which I cannot access.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here, though - how about sending, for
example, the debian mailing lists for archiving?  A good campaign here
could bring this Microsoft/British Government Corruption problem to a
head.