Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Record' Quarter Paid for by INVESTORS

After takin' a swig o' grog, John Bailo belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | But Microsoft has taken a series of steps to reduce its cash
>> | balance. Specifically, by Microsoft's count, the company has
>> | paid out nearly $100 billion through dividends and repurchasing
>> | its own stock in the past five years.
>> `----
>
> Sort of like burning the mansion's furniture for firewood.

   "Of course, everything is relative, and the company won't be
   scrounging for change under Bill Gates' couch cushions anytime soon.
   But the $29 billion on hand at last count was less than half the cash
   and short-term investments held by Microsoft about two years ago.

   It's the first time in more than five years that its cash balance has
   been below $30 billion."

   . . .

   "We're focused on striking the right balance between investing in the
   company's growth and returning capital to shareholders," said Colleen
   Healy, Microsoft's general manager of investor relations, in a
   statement last week.

--
   Trust your accountants.  Let them play.