[News] [OSS-Linux] OpenOffice Improves for Mac Users, Sun Sparc Servers Support Linux

Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm excited to let you all know that as of now Sun engineering will
| add its support to the ongoing Mac/Aqua porting effort.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/sun_microsystems_engineering_joins_porting

Sun Boots Solaris 10 on 'Rock' Sparc Processors

,----[ Quote ]
| While Sun is booting Solaris 10 on the Rock systems now, it is also
| possible that Sun works with the Linux community to get a Linux
| distribution ported to the processors, much as Canonical has done
| with the 8-core, 32-thread Sparc T1 chip. "It is not currently in
| the plan, but technically, there is no reason it cannot be done,"
| says Azhari. And Thomas backed him up, saying that there is nothing
| that would technically prevent Linux from running on Rock systems.
| But there is a question about the scalability of the Linux kernel
| and how it will make use of so many compute and scout
| instruction threads.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=815F111C-CAD9-4C59-BD7E-F1DF67FA2DB3

Related:

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux used in the system is one that Kealia created for itself
| based on an undisclosed commercial distribution with some real-time
| hooks in it to boost the responsiveness of the system. Over the long
| haul, you can bet that Sun will port the Streaming System software
| to Solaris.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html

Sun 'Fawns' Over Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun and Canonical, Ubuntu's commercial sponsor, consider the Java
| platform technology inclusions as an important milestone in a larger
| effort of collaboration.
|
| [...]
|
| Murdoch is no stranger to the Linux community, though he is new to
| Sun, having joined just a month ago. Murdoch is best known as the
| founder of the Debian GNU/Linux project, which is the basis from
| which Ubuntu is derived.
|
| [...]
|
| Ubuntu is one of the most-hyped Linux distributions currently in
| use, though it is unclear as to exactly how many people use it.

Sun, Ubuntu maker certifying Linux on x86 servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems and Canonical have nearly completed work to certify
| that the Ubuntu version of Linux runs smoothly on Sun's x86 servers,
| sources familiar with the situation said.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-6132211.html?part=rss&tag=6132211&subj=news

Sun Enlists In Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| As an FSF patron, Sun joins the likes of Intel, IBM, HP, Google, MySQL,
| EMC, and JBoss.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197008890

And the centre of your desktop is...

,----[ Quote ]
| We had an overwhelming response to our reader poll in this area with over
| 4,800 of you participating, so thanks to those who took the time.
|
| [...]
|
| The only competition at the moment is from open source office suites,
| OpenOffice in particular, which around one in five Reg readers are
| personally using.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/desktop_office_suites/

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html