[News] [Linux] New Linux Supercomputer Funded by Microsoft

Sir Alan Sugar unveils East End supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| The e-Science HPC cluster will run on Linux and be powered by AMD's
| 284 dual processor, dual core nodes which might be seen by some as
| a bold move away from long-term Viglen partners Microsoft and Intel.
|
| [...]
|
| He said the move into Linux could be described as his attempt to
| "get out of the clutches of my friend Mr Gates", and added that "what
| the end-user doesn't realise is that the largest benefactor is
| Microsoft. But we don't need to have our hands tied like that".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/03/sugar_viglen_cluster/

Related:

Univa Launches Open Source Cluster Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Available on multiple operating systems including Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux, the release of Univa Globus Cluster Edition 2.0 represents
| the culmination of a multi-person year design and development process
| during which Univa identified key cluster components, then extensively
| evaluated and tested leading open source technologies, and bundled them
| into the commercially supported solution it is delivering to market today.
`----

http://www.sys-con.com/read/369335_p.htm

Top 500 Supercomputer Sites - November 2006

,----[ Some stats ]
`----

http://top500.org/lists/2006/11

,----[ Quote ]