[News] Microsoft Slammed for Attempts to Hijack the World Wide Web, Speaker Snubbed

Audience abandons Microsoft's MIX 07 keynote

,----[ Quote ]
| He said that when Microsoft and other companies create communities
| around their technology, it's usually accidental, not created by
| any ad placed strategically on a web page or in a game.
|
| "The Xbox community existed, but the Microsoft ads [in games and
| on Xbox Live] then got moved around quite by accident, not by
| design," Rasala said. "It's unclear that many companies can
| replicate that pattern by design."
|
| After Bach's keynote, it was difficult to find attendees in
| the hall that did not work for Microsoft. Nine out of 10
| attendees approached for comment after his talk were from
| the company.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=9217

Also see:

Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web.

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but I have to say something very rude. You clearly don't know
| what you're talking about. That is Microsoft PR talking. Can you say
| "credibility loss".
|
| Silverlight is about The Microsoft Web
|
| Silverlight is not about the World Wide Web. It's about The Microsoft
| Web. It's about getting fools to rally around Microsoft. After all of
| this time and experience with Microsoft, anybody with half a brain
| will be smart enough to avoid doing that. The last thing you want to
| be is dependent on Microsoft and set yourself up to be a DIRECT
| competitor with "Microsoft Cloud Services" down the road. Dumb.
| Foolish. Stupid. Smart investors won't invest one dime in your
| company and might even short your stock.
|
| Remember, it's Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft is not investing in
| huge datacenters all around the world for no reason. And, Microsoft
| will do whatever it takes, including operating that new online
| services business at a huge loss, to starve off any smaller
| competitor that foolishly chose to develop on the Silverlight
| platform. Microsoft sold $44 BILLION and cleared $18 BILLION
| profit last year. How many billions did you make last year?
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11406-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=33334&messageID=613757

Related:

Why Microsoft Silverlight Will Fail.

,----[ Quote ]
| My main reasons (And please, correct me if I am wrong):
|
|     * No IDE for me - The development path is currently platform
|       specific to Windows. Not even an open compiler or server side
|       compiler for Linux is available. Use Expression Blend on my
|       Mac? Not happening.
|
|     * No plug in for Linux - Even Adobe has managed to deliver it's
|       modern plugin to Linux users. I only use Linux as a server
|       platform, but with Ubuntu, etc making inroads on the desktop,
|       it's nice to have it as an option.

http://visualrinse.com/2007/04/16/why-microsoft-silverlight-will-fail/

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon forn
| etwork applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe (at CNNMoney.com)

,----[ Excerpt ]

`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

Vista to give HD Photo format more exposure

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/Vista+to+give+HD+Photo+format+more+exposure/2100-1045_3-6153730.html