Re: [News] [Linux] Linspire CEO Suggests Dell Should Consider Linux Choices, Triple-booting

__/ [ RonB ] on Thursday 03 May 2007 02:29 \__

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 13:03:36 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Dell should offer Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If Dell does the smart thing, and offers a tri-boot system with these
>> | three distributions, it will be a brilliant move on their part. They
>> will | be offering a quality product to TODAY's Linux market, and they
>> will | have started the early stages of their desktop Linux program,
>> satisfying | the current market, BUT with expectations and plans of
>> preparing for | the larger mainstream market.
>
> I can understand Linspire considering Dell's selling of preloaded Ubuntu
> computers unfair, but I think it would be a mistake for Dell to sell a
> "tri-boot" computer. The point is to sell a preconfigured Linux system
> ready to go to work -- not an experimental "trial" computer. I think a
> tri-boot system would be sending the exact wrong message about Linux.
>
> And didn't Linspire recently announce they were going to base their
> distribution of Ubuntu instead of Debian?

I totally agree with you. One thing I had in mind was giving the user the
option to 'zap' the unwanted partitition/s and reclaim the disk space. Mass
production of the hard drives means that there's no extra effort required
and associated with assembling of the PCs. It could make everyone happy, but
it could also introduce documentation and support issues at Dell. They
probably need consistency as it appears like they'll offer full support.
They could use some new staff with Linux skills and I'm sure it'll create
demand for Linux knowledge. Canonical have just created Linux alliances for
Linux training in Canada and Russia. It was among last week's press
releases.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Tasks: 116 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie