[News] [Rival] ActiveX/Office Get Slammed by Series of Flaws

Month of ActiveX bugs project begins with two Office flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| A hacker known as shinnai kicked off his "Month of ActiveX Bugs"
| (MoAxB) project with a bang by exposing a number of severe
| vulnerabilities affecting OCX controls in Microsoft Office.
`----

http://scmagazine.com/us/news/article/654659/month-activex-bugs-project-begins-two-office-flaws/

Microsoft users sticking with third-party security vendors

,----[ Quote ]
| "Security vendors have a valid concern, as Microsoft is known as a
| convicted monopolist," said John Bambenek, a Champaign, Ill.-based
| security professional who volunteers as a handler at the Bethesda,
| Md.-based SANS Internet Storm Center (ISC).
`----

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1253527,00.html

Related:

McAfee: Microsoft completely unrealistic on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista does not ship with antivirus software installed and active,
| but for the first time Microsoft will be promoting their own antivirus
| service in Windows OneCare. Alex Eckelberry, CEO of Sunbelt Software,
| has already called Microsoft's plans predatory based on pricing. McAfee
| is focusing its critique on operating system design, arguing instead that
| Microsoft's decisions with Vista will simply make the operating system
| less secure.
|
| In the advertisement, McAfee CEO George Samunek is quoted as saying,
| "Microsoft is being completely unrealistic if, by locking security
| companies out of the kernel, it thinks hackers won't crack Vista's kernel.
| In fact, they already have." The advert continues: "With its upcoming
| Vista operating system, Microsoft is embracing the flawed logic that
| computers will be more secure if it stops co-operating with the
| independent security firms."

Vista still vulnerable

,----[ Quote ]
| Vulnerabilities in Windows Vista will plague users in coming months
| and years, a prominent security researcher warns, despite its
| security improvements over predecessor XP.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/security/vista-still-vulnerable/2007/02/26/1172338546822.html
http://tinyurl.com/2o82lf

Digital Criminals

,----[ Quote ]
| My concern is that Microsoft says it does all sorts of great
| things to protect its code but doesn't like to tell anyone what
| it is. And it's not willing to compare best practices. Other
| people have developed a whole list of things of what companies
| should do to protect their code. And Microsoft is not telling
| them what they do.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/28/clarke-terrorism

Vista security overview: too little too late

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what have we got here? An adequately secure version of Windows,
| finally? I think not. We have got, instead, a slightly more secure
| version than XP SP2. There are good features, and there are good
| ideas, but they've been implemented badly. The old problems never
| go away: too many networking services enabled by default; too
| many owners running their boxes as admins and downloading every
| bit of malware they can get their hands on. But MS has, in a
| sense, shifted the responsibility onto users: it has addressed
| numerous issues where too much was going on automatically and
| with too many privileges. But this simply means that the ownerw
| ill be the one making a mess of their Windows box.
|
| Data hygiene is still an absolute disaster on Windows. In fact,
| it's worse than it ever was in some ways, and that's very bad
| indeed. Browser traces still in the registry, heavy and
| complicated indexing to improve search, new locations where data
| is being stored. It all adds up to a privacy nightmare. Keeping
| a Vista box "clean" is going to be impossible for all but the
| most knowledgeable and fastidious users.
|
| So don't rush out to buy Vista in hopes of getting much in
| return security-wise. I do like some of the changes, at least
| in theory, or as a decent platform on which to build an
| adequately secure version of Windows one day. But that day,
| if it ever comes, will be well in the future.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/20/vista_security_oversold/

Symantec: Microsoft conflict of interest is damaging internet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/07/symantec_thompson_microsoft/