Re: [News] Microsoft Silverlight promises to modernize the Web

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 03 May 2007 00:20 \__

> Uh...no, not really.  But this will certainly get interesting,
> though I'm not sure it will do so in a good way.
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/17/2346202&from=rss
>
> http://www.daniweb.com/blogs/entry1418.html
>
>     Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
>     finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of hassle,
>     Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a wrench in
>     the works.
>     [...]
>     The Silverlight software, based on the preexisting Windows Media
>     Video standard, is a â??cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next
>     generation of media experiences and rich interactive applications
>     (RIAs) for the Web,â?? according to a recent press release available
>     here on Microsoft's website. Though Silverlight sounds very
>     promising, and may actually displace Flash video as the means most
>     sites use to stream content, Microsoft has yet to even hint at the
>     planned existence of a Linux plug-in. Apparently, cross-platform
>     only includes Windows and OS X, even though there is an
>     ever-increasing Linux user base.
>
> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-04-18-025-26-OP-MS
>
> And of course the official news release:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/apr07/04-15WPFEPR.mspx
>
>     Silverlight Scales From HD to Mobile, With Peace of Mind for Content
>     Owners
>
> (note: *not* content consumers)
>
>     Silverlight uses Windows Media Video (WMV), Microsoftâ??s
>     implementation of the Society of Motion Picture and Television
>     Engineers (SMPTE) VC-1 video standard, enabling immediate
>     compatibility with the millions of hours of content already
>     available on the Web, and adds support for interactive video
>     experiences that scale from full-screen high-definition (HD) to
>     mobile scenarios.

They are able to 'extend' this at will. It's about control. A company with so
many conflicting and intersecting interests cannot be trusted (think
browser-O/S integration for instance). Also support for SL would probably be
better on one particular platform.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: as good as Richard Stallman's dental
higiene
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S