[News] [Rival] Microsoft Lost $300m on Advertising in Just One Quarter?

The Economist de-rails Microsoft media love in

,----[ Quote ]
| Over to you, Rashbass: "It's kind of funny to hear Robbie Bach giving a
| talk on advertising and monetization when he just lost $300m in the
| last quarter." Oh dear.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/02/microsoft_marketing/

Also:

Microsoft super sizes multi-threaded tripe

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel and AMD executives fail to hide their disappointment with
| Microsoft well on the multi-threaded software front.
|
| During a speech last June, Intel SVP Pat Gelsinger said the
| following:
|
| "A couple of years ago, I had a discussion with Bill Gates
| (about the multi-core products). He was just in disbelief.
| He said, 'We can't write software to keep up with that.'"
|
| Gates ordered the Intel executive to keep pumping out faster
| product. "No, Bill, it's not going to work that way," Gelsinger
| informed him.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/mundie_mundie/

Still just catch-up work. Trying to make PCs Vista capable (without 4GB of
RAM)? Linux handles these technologies very well. Links below.

Related:

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| A look at the Top500 Supercomputer Sites List (www.top500.org) shows
| that a large portion of the technical computing workload has moved
| to commodity Linux clusters: commodity servers, commodity
| networks and commodity storage
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

Quad-core on Vista Home, an Intel exclusive

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the tech sheet on ExtremeTech as well as other
| websites, Vista home only supports one physical processor.
| This means that AMD's 4x4 platform, which uses 2 dual-core
| chips, will not work.
`----

http://clocksarestupid.net/articles/2007/01/21/quad-core-on-vista-home-an-intel-exclusive
http://tinyurl.com/yu2456

Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n