Re: [News] Toshiba Considers Preinstalling GNU/Linux on Notebooks

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 09:39 \__

>> Toshiba Italy mulls pre-loaded Linux notebooks
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Toshiba's Italian channel sales and marketing operation reportedly
>>| is considering offering pre-loaded Linux in its Tecra, Satellite,
>>| Portege, and Qosmio notebook lines, according to a story published online
>>| last week in the Il Sole newspaper.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9644921792.html
>>
>> I suspect that H-P is about to join the club as well. It's just a matter
>> of time.
>>

> We are so far past the tipping point that we're now looking at the late
> joiners to the party.  These will, naturally, be the larger and more
> conservative organisations, often those running to very tight margins
> indeed.  These will certainly include Dell, Toshiba, HP and no doubt
> many many others.

The more I see today, the more excited I get. On the face of it, there's a
very clear case of a dam that falls over. It seems like the OLPC might even
reach American schools and run Linux. Microsoft won't take this without a
fight. Expect things to get ugly, but when many (former) Microsoft partners
defect to Linux, Microsoft can't just punish them all collectively. It was
easier to 'whack' selectively. Just look what happened now that the MPAA
sent C&D latters to sites and blogs from all over the Web. The mob took
over. I think Microsoft is going to face an angry mob soon. Its aggressive
actions against the GPL and ODF do the company no favours. People quite
Windows for spite, not just because Vista is a wreck. Likewise, some people
pirate because of DRM frustrations, as well as the MPAA/RIAA.

> Here's a question - how long before Apple begin to offer dual-boot
> OSX/Linux Macs?

They virtualise it now and I think it makes the users happy. At least they
get familiar with Linux this way. Sooner or later they realise that they
don't need Apple.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Run a Linux server, then learn how to knit
 10:00am  up 3 days 18:15,  6 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.82, 0.73