[News] Open Source/Linux Search Engines

Search Wikia hires Jabber founder, expands concept

,----[ Quote ]
| Wales announced late last year that he was developing the Search
| Wikia offering. "The basic concept of the search project is that I
| want to create a completely transparent, open-source, freely
| licensed search engine," he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/050107-search-wikia-hires-jabber-founder.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/387zlj

One might be tempted argue that open implementations will lead to gaming the
system, but then again, look how heavily abused the closed systems are (e.g.
Yahoo and Google). The same arguments go for security, even voting machines.
With OSS, at least you know what you get, and there's trust.

Linux desktop text search engine revs up

,----[ Quote ]
| The Recoll project team on April 26 announced the release of version
| 1.8.1 of its free, open-source, full text search tool for Linux
| desktops. Recoll is based on the "very strong" Xapian backend,
| which provides an easy-to-use, feature-rich, QT-based graphical
| interface, a team member said.

Microsoft Still Needs Help Understanding Search

,----[ Quote ]
| When a company resorts to bribery not once, but twice in an effort
| to get customers to try their product, you have to consider that
| maybe there's something wrong with the product itself.
`----

http://www.seochat.com/c/a/Search-Engine-News/Microsoft-Still-Needs-Help-Understanding-Search/
http://tinyurl.com/2r6vll

Unifying Desktop Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Wasabi is a new proposal on FreeDesktop.org for a unified desktop
| search and metadata specification.
|
| [...]
|
| If they can get either KDE or GNOME to support it then the
| chances will be good. In fact, KDE has been focusing on various
| API's for the upcoming KDE4 release so it should be right up their
| alley. After all, Phonon is doing the exact same thing for
| multimedia backends.
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/unifying_desktop_search

Desktop search for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I already wrote a bit about desktop search on Linux systems, you can
| find more in the section Desktop Search (surprise, surprise).
|
| However, the last look at the situation in general is quite some months
| ago, and several things have developed since then.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/11/17/desktop-search-for-linux-autumn-2006/

Beagle++

,----[ Quote ]
| Beagle++ is an extensions to the Beagle search tool for the personal
| information space. Beagle++ now makes that search semantic, features
| you never experienced before. As a prototype it reflects our
| current research activities towards the Semantic Desktop.
`----

http://beagle.kbs.uni-hannover.de/

Linux Desktop Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Searching in Linux starts those venerable command line favorites:
| find, grep, and locate. These tools are very powerful and can easily
| be integrated into scripts, but for many users, this usefulness is
| also one of their key weaknesses...
|
| [...]
|
| [Covers Kat, SearchMonkey, Beagle, and more]
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/linux_desktop_search

Searchmonkey balances command-line power and desktop ease of use

,----[ Quote ]
| Searchmonkey, formerly known as Xsearch, is a graphical search
| tool whose main page describes it as the combining of Beagle's
| simplicity of use with the exactness of the find and grep commands.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/18/1617228&from=rss

Why Did Microsoft Decimate Search in Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Until RC2, one of the best features of Vista was its speedy,
| exceedingly powerful Search features. But with RC2, Microsoft
| essentially threw Search under the train, making some of the most
| bizarre user interface decisions imaginable. Why did Microsoft decide
| to decimate the great Search tool?
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/11/why_did_microsoft_decimate_sea.html

Desktop search is rotten in Vista